Thursday, May 19, 2011

The Tourist

The birds were chirping, the zephyr touched my eyelids gently and moved on. The children were giggling while they passed by. I was sitting alone, enjoying my own company. I had seen a few years of this life and I wondered why people complain about their life. Life seemed so beautiful. While I sat at my doorstep every evening, I came to recognise the faces of the passerby people. And notably this particular chap who appeared starkingly attractive. All the more because when he crossed me, he had his eyes glued on me and I would get lost in those eyes as well. The guy became regular to the road. One fine day, he greeted me with a "hi" and I responded with a smile. Next day he stood there a few minutes to chat about my whereabouts. Gradually the stay kept on increasing and we became friends. I liked his company. Now, I did not notice the birds anymore, nor the children passing by. I waited for him to arrive and spend some time together. We started taking small strolls to the nearby park. And everyday I started feeling low when I had to bid him goodbye. He said he liked spending time with me. As time passed by our meetings became a necessity for the both of us. We promised each other to walk together everyday. Then we promised to stand by each other in our sorrows and our happiness. He promised to be with me forever very soon. One day he told me he will be a little late the next day. So I waited for him the next day. When he arrived with his attractive smiling face I felt such relief. We walked a little and talked a little more. The next day he again arrived late. This time he did not inform me so I was a bit worried. The subsequent day as well he came late and this time quite late. So I expressed my worries to him. He said, he might be late but he will come back to me at the end of the day. So I was assured. One day he did not come but I kept reassuring myself of his presence. I knew he will come and gave me the assurance that he will always be there for me. Then his visits became less frequent and his absence . started making me sad and I craved to see him. At his next visit, I asked him the reason for this behaviour but he seemed indifferent. When I pushed him too hard, he said, he has to go. I tried to stop him but he did not stay. The last words he uttered were, I am sorry. Now I know why people complain. Cest La Vie!

No comments:

Post a Comment